Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Will you model for me???

It was mid afternoon in Florence and I was doing a little Christmas shopping after a meeting. As I walked out of a store an older man in his sixties quickly came walking up to me and asked "Will you model for me?". I was so caught off guard that I said "what??". He launched into a discourse about how I had the perfect form for a marble sculpture, my eyes were beautiful and I had a great face. He said "I'm an artist and I just look at the form so will you model for me?". I told him I didn't live here and I wasn't really interested. He insisted that he was a professor of art at the university and that he paid very well hourly. He asked if I lived in Florence and when I said no he asked if I came there often. I said not really. It was becoming awkward at this point. I said once again that I wasn't interested and that yes I too was an artist so I know what your talking about but still not interested. The next line was priceless..."Well I'm gay so you don't really have to worry about that". I tried to hold back the laughter. He asked what my job was in Italy and I told him I was a missionary that works with univeristy students. His reply was well Jesus was naked wasn't he so it shouldn't be a problem for you. You can do that too can't you. I have a gallery on the Ponte Vecchio that you can come and see my work was his next line. I said maybe next time I'm around I'll stop by. Not! He just couldn't believe that I wasn't up for modeling nude for a marble sculpture of me that may or may not be displayed for a bazillion tourists to see everyday on Ponte Vecchio. Lastly has asked for my number and well... I panicked. I had no way out without being super rude. So yes I lied, the Lord forgive me, that I didn't have a cell phone. I said Pisa was a small place and well you just see everyone all the time. He couldn't believe that. So I said you just give me yours and Lorenzo is his name for those interested. Before we parted ways he said you're not going to call are you because you have too much else to do. I kindly said Ciao and hurried away still in disbelief at what just took place. Oh the every day life of living in a foreign country.

No comments:

So Dark is Europe

30 Days Of Prayer for the Muslim World